Source: Reuters
Israeli strikes across Lebanon intensified over the past 24 hours, as the Israeli military said it targeted more than 30 Hezbollah sites in southern Lebanon, while separate attacks elsewhere in the country killed a Palestinian militant commander, according to Lebanese state media.
Monday, May 18, 2026
The Israeli military said it carried out a wave of airstrikes on Hezbollah infrastructure in the Tyre area along the southern Lebanese coast on Friday, as military tensions continued alongside ongoing U.S.-mediated negotiations in Washington.
Friday, May 15, 2026
Despite all the predictable attacks against the Lebanese state for daring to engage in direct talks with Israel through American mediation, the second phase of this diplomatic track has started this week, and perhaps the most important thing to say at the outset is that Lebanon no longer has the luxury of pretending that slogans, denial, or ideological purity can protect its sovereignty, its people, or what remains of its institutions.
Saturday, May 16, 2026
When Lebanese President Joseph Aoun announced his country’s shift toward direct political negotiations with Israel in April, he upended the political reality that had governed Lebanon for four decades. For the first time in many years, Beirut is present at the negotiating table as a sovereign state, rather than a battleground for geopolitical competition. This is far more important than a technical border settlement; it amounts to a permanent attempt to resolve the question of whether Lebanon is a nation ruled by its own elected government, or functions merely as a proxy of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Wednesday, May 13, 2026
PSV Eindhoven felt they should have taken more from Tuesday's Champions League away clash against Juventus where they conceded a late goal to go down 2-1 in the first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie on Tuesday.
Wednesday, February 12, 2025
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says the club expects to learn the outcome of the hearing into its 115 charges of alleged Premier League financial rule breaches "in one month".
Saturday, February 8, 2025
Wednesday 12 June 2024 17:14:25
A wealthy Emirati businessman has scrapped plans to launch a new television channel in Lebanon, with his company alleging he and his staff had faced physical threats, Reuters reports.
Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor’s Dubai-based Al Habtoor Group conglomerate announced on Tuesday it had cancelled the launch of the television channel, which aimed to initially broadcast cultural, social and sporting programmes.
Al Habtoor Group cited “severe security challenges”, including what it called physical threats against its founder and chairman, Khalaf Al Habtoor, and staff members.
It said it had lodged criminal and civil complaints in Lebanon and elsewhere against those it said had menaced the Group and staff.
“Following the project announcement, the Group encountered a barrage of orchestrated campaigns including accusations, slander and threats,” Al Habtoor Group said in a statement.
It did not identify who it believed had been implicated in the “orchestrated campaigns”. The company thanked Lebanese Minister of Information, Ziad Makary, for his support.
“We have encountered insurmountable obstacles that exceed what can reasonably be borne regarding the safety and security of our team,” Khalaf Al Habtoor said.
“We find ourselves compelled to seek an alternative to launching the project from Lebanon,” he said, citing a lack of necessary security and stability to proceed with the launch.
Makary told Reuters he regretted Al Habtoor’s decision. Asked about allegations of threats against Al Habtoor and his staff, Makary said: “We were prepared even if there were any threats to address them.”
Al Habtoor Group’s business interests span construction, real estate and hospitality in the Middle East, Europe and the United States. The Group has two Hilton hotels in Lebanon.
Khalaf Al Habtoor, a prominent Dubai businessman, has in the past been critical of Lebanon’s Hezbollah, the heavily armed group, backed by Iran. Hezbollah has been declared a terrorist group by the UAE, Saudi Arabia, other Gulf States and the United States.
The Gulf states, including the UAE, were once major investors in Lebanon but now largely shun it over Hezbollah, whose political party also sits in the parliament.
In 2018, Khalaf Al Habtoor said the Americans, Israelis and Europeans could “dismantle the threat of Hezbollah and rescue the Lebanese”, according to the Al Habtoor Group website.
He told a conference at the time: “The Lebanese are prisoners in their country. Members of Hezbollah are forming the government in Lebanon, I cannot understand it. We should not accept this.”

Don't forget to Follow us on kataeb.org Instagram
CLICK HERE
