Source: Sky News
Lebanon’s Investigative Judges’ Panel has upheld a ruling barring the prosecution of Tarek Bitar, the judicial investigator leading the probe into the 2020 Beirut Port explosion, effectively removing a major obstacle that had impeded his work for more than two years, Al-Modon reported.
Wednesday, February 11, 2026
The U.S. Department of the Treasury on Tuesday imposed new sanctions aimed at choking off key financial mechanisms used by Hezbollah to sustain its operations, particularly through revenue generation linked to Iran and the exploitation of Lebanon’s informal financial sector, the Treasury said.
Tuesday, February 10, 2026
After one of the most severe currency collapses in recent economic history, the Lebanese pound (Lira) has been held at roughly 89,500 to the US dollar, a level that appears, at least superficially, to signal a return of stability after years of hyperinflation.
Tuesday, February 10, 2026
In January 2025, President Joseph Aoun took the oath of office and in his inaugural address declared the start of a “new era.” The government then began to reconstitute itself as a functioning center of authority after prolonged executive paralysis. This transition unfolded in a moment of political fluidity shaped by two facts: the severe debilitation of Hezbollah following the 2023-2024 war with Israel, and the general consensus that Lebanon must end its endemic patronage, corruption, and institutional dysfunction. The extensive damage and disruption caused by Israel’s military campaign has turned reconstruction into the defining test of whether the state can restore national trust by reasserting its authority and delivering recovery.
Thursday, February 5, 2026
PSV Eindhoven felt they should have taken more from Tuesday's Champions League away clash against Juventus where they conceded a late goal to go down 2-1 in the first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie on Tuesday.
Wednesday, February 12, 2025
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says the club expects to learn the outcome of the hearing into its 115 charges of alleged Premier League financial rule breaches "in one month".
Saturday, February 8, 2025
Saturday 3 December 2022 18:57:52
A mega-tsunami on Mars could have been triggered by an asteroid strike similar to the devastating blow that wiped out the dinosaurs 66 million years ago.
The giant wave, measuring up to 250 metres in height, was created about 3.4 billion years ago by the impact of an asteroid or comet in a shallow ocean in the northern lowlands of the red planet, scientists believe.
Until now, the location of the crater left by the asteroid was unclear.
Researchers at the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Arizona, analysed maps of Mars' surface, created from photographs of previous missions to the planet.
They identified a crater - named Pohl - measuring 110km in diameter, which they believe was caused by the asteroid.
Scientists believe it was formed 3.4 billion years ago based on its position above and below rocks previously dated to this time period.
They carried out simulations of asteroid and comet collisions to establish what kind of impact could have created Pohl and whether it could have caused a mega-tsunami.
A simulation that formed a crater with similar dimensions to Pohl was triggered by a 9km asteroid encountering strong ground resistance, releasing 13 million megatons of TNT energy.
Another 3km asteroid, encountering weak ground resistance, released 0.5 megatons of TNT energy.
One megaton of TNT energy has the equivalent force of one million tons.
The amount of energy released by the most powerful megaton ever tested was approximately 57 megatons of TNT energy.
In both simulations, craters measuring 110km in diameter generated mega-tsunamis reaching as far as 1,500km from the centre of the impact site.
Analysis of the giant wave unleashed by the 3km asteroid impact suggested the tsunami could have measured 250 metres on land.
The impact of Pohl has been likened to that of the Chicuxlub crater buried under the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, after which the dinosaurs became extinct.
Writing in the Scientific Reports journal, the researchers said of their breakthrough: "The site's location along a highland-facing lobe aligned to erosional grooves supports a mega-tsunami origin."
They added: "Our findings allow that rocks and soil salts at the landing site are of marine origin, inviting the scientific reconsideration of information gathered from the first in-situ measurements on Mars."

Subscribe to our kataeb.org Youtube Channel
CLICK HERE
