Source: Kataeb.org
Sunday 30 November 2025 11:42:53
The Lebanese Army on Friday organized a media tour in southern Lebanon, offering local and international journalists a rare look at what officials described as former Hezbollah positions near the Israeli border, including an underground tunnel used by the group before last year’s ceasefire.
The tour included a visit to a nearly 100-meter-long tunnel carved into a mountain in Wadi Zibqin, an area previously known as a Hezbollah stronghold. The facility contained a small medical room, ventilation systems, electrical wiring, water tanks, preserved food supplies, and other basic equipment. The army said any weapons previously stored there had already been removed.
The rugged valley, once used for rocket launchers, posts and other military infrastructure, has seen extensive army operations over the past year. Hezbollah operatives were not observed in the area during the tour. Lebanese troops were stationed at multiple positions that officials said had previously been used by the group.
Brig. Gen. Nicolas Tabet, who commands the sector south of the Litani River, said the army continues to operate across the region.
“The army is making significant efforts during this period,” he told journalists.
Army officers said that since the ceasefire, Israel has carried out 5,198 violations, including 657 airstrikes. According to the officers, 13,981 housing units were destroyed during the war, along with widespread damage to infrastructure in border villages.
Officials said the south remains heavily contaminated with weapons and military equipment left behind during the previous conflict. The army reported seizing around 230,000 items over the past year, including ammunition, rocket launchers, missiles and other ordnance. Some were dismantled or destroyed, while others were placed in storage. Equipment deemed usable was taken into army custody.
The officers said the army now operates 200 posts and 29 fixed checkpoints south of the Litani River, supported by continuous patrols. Thabet said the military does not enter homes without a judicial order, unless troops directly witness unlawful activity.
“Over the past year, no evidence has been presented to me showing that weapons entered the area south of the Litani after the army deployed,” Tabet said. “We will not abandon our objectives regardless of the difficulties."